Read step-by-step guide to car insurance claims flood-damaged car: Coverfox
Follow this guide to process your insurance claim for a car damaged by the floods this monsoon and get your claim seamlessly!
Monsoons have proven to be quite a menace for cars. Driving your car on roads when it is raining profusely can lead to perilous accidents. Additionally, the potholes around pose a threat to the suspension. If you happen to live in an area where water accumulates easily, your car is at a risk. It becomes impuissant to the damage that can be caused to the engine. Living in a flood-prone area can have destructive effects on your car. Being proactive and well prepared in such cases, is the best thing you can do. This is why comprehensive car insurance policies are available to the people.
Car insurance policies offer coverage for your car and thus help you overcome the monetary losses you may face due to various reasons like theft, accidents, natural calamities and so on. Comprehensive car insurance is a type of insurance policy that coherently looks after these expenses. The premium amount of your car insurance is decided on the basis of the IDV of the vehicle. Car insurance can shield you as well as your car from financial exigencies arising out of road accidents, physical damage, etc. According to the law, it is mandatory for drivers to buy a car insurance policy as soon as they purchase a car.
Types of car insurance policies
There are mainly two types of car insurance policies in India. They are as follows.
- Third Party Liability Car Insurance: This type of car insurance offers protection against any legal liability to a third party when a mishap has been caused because of you and you are at fault. As per the Motor Vehicles Act, a Third Party Liability Car insurance is mandatory for all vehicle owners.
- Comprehensive Car Insurance: This type of car insurance is an all-inclusive insurance that offers coverage for third party liability along with damages caused to your own car. It provides immense coverage, consists of many advantages as well as covers damages caused to the car that is insured. You can increase your comprehensive coverage by choosing add-ons like engine protector, accessories cover, NCB Protector, etc.
Steps to file an insurance claim for flood-damaged cars
For the purpose of claiming the damages caused to your car, it is imperative to have a Comprehensive Car insurance.
- 1st Step: Call on the landline or toll free number of your car insurance company.
- 2nd Step: Give all the necessary information accurately to the insurance company crew. Basically, you have to inform them the place your car was parked, whether it was being driven when it broke down or otherwise.
- 3rd Step: A unique number known as the claim registration number will be provided to you. Keep it carefully as you will be required to give this unique number every time you have an interaction with the company.
- 4th Step: The insurance company will plan and schedule a pick-up time and tow your car.
- 5th Step: For examining the total damage done to your car, a surveyor will be sent by the insurance company. Once the garage team is consulted, you will be informed about the cost of the damages payable by the insurance company as well as the cost that you have to bear. Make sure that the claims approval must be according to the coverage of your insurance policy. In case you feel there is an issue, you can always consult your surveyor and get it confirmed.
- 6th Step: Either the garage service team or the surveyor will give you the claim approval sheet. Keep one copy handy with you. 7th Step: Ask the garage team for an approximate timeline for completing your car repairs. 8th Step: You can always call the garage and ask for a status update regarding the repairs of your car. You must do this at least once in a few days.
- 9th Step: When the repairs work has just begun, you will have been given a checklist. You must check the repair work as per this checklist. Only if you are content, you must pay the charges of service payable by you after the claim settlement. Also, sign the final set of documents.
- 10th Step: Get your car back through delivery.
Your claim will be processed quickly if it is a digital-first insurer. Or else, the claim process may take some time, particularly if many parties are involved. You can follow up on your claim application status as well.
Claim registration contact details
Listed below are the contact details for a few of the insurance companies
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance- 1800-209-5858
- Bharti AXA General Insurance- 1800-103-2292
- Cholamandalam MS General Insurance- 1800-200-5544
- HDFC Ergo General Insurance- 1800-2700-700
- L&T General Insurance- 1800-209-5846
- Liberty Videocon General Insurance- 1800-266-5844
- National Insurance Company- 1800-200-7710
- Magma HDI General Insurance Company- 1800-3002-3202
- SBI General Insurance Company- 1800-22-1111
- Oriental Insurance Company- 1800-118-485
- TATA AIG General Insurance Company- 1800-266-7780
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company- 1800-2666
- Reliance General Insurance- 1800-3009
- New India Assurance Company- 1800-209-1415
Must Have Add-ons
One of the most common claim cases of floods are related to hydrostatic locks. This happens when water enters the engine and curbs it. If your car is very prone to flood damage, it is advisable to buy some add-ons at the time of renewing your policy, so that you receive higher protection.
- Engine Protection Rider: In case of engine damage, the engine protection rider will provide coverage for the costs of repairing the engine. If you have a high-end car, this add-on is very beneficial for you. When floods affect your car and there is water all around, the engine gets affected. In times like these, you must turn off the battery of your car and get it towed to a garage. Do not start the ignition. Trying to do so, can cause a short circuit.
- Zero Depreciation Cover: With a Zero Depreciation Cover, you can make a claim for the spare parts of your car. You can make a full claim here without worrying about the depreciation value.
- 24×7 Road Assistance: This add-on will prove to be beneficial in times like when there are floods and your vehicle needs to be towed, if any damage has occurred. It helps you tow the car to a garage.
Low-lying areas especially cities like Mumbai, are extremely prone to floods. Whether your car is parked or been driven, in both cases floods will adversely affect and damage various parts of your car. Hence, acquiring a online car insurance policy is incredibly important.